Ken Brown is the founder of Ken Brown Strategic Consulting, where he advises public and private sector clients on federal funding, legislative and regulatory solutions, and other tools to facilitate economic and community development, energy conservation, brownfields revitalization, infrastructure upgrades, air and water quality improvements and other priorities. He also advises private sector clients on promoting environmental technologies and environmentally preferred products. Ken speaks regularly on infrastructure, clean energy, brownfields and other community revitalization issues.
Ken has more than 25 years of experience working on a broad range of public policy issues at the local, state and national levels. Some of his accomplishments include:
• Launching and managing the Climate Communities Coalition, a network of more than 500 local governments, which helped obtain billions in federal funding for local government energy efficiency and renewable energy projects;
• Assisting clients in obtaining more than $500 million in federal funding for infrastructure, environmental cleanup, demonstration projects, and other client priorities;
• Lobbying for and helping to craft portions of the Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act, signed by President Bush in 2002;
• Assisting a chemical company in winning the U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award as part of a multi-faceted strategy that helped its product become the market leader;
• Assisting a Fortune 500 company in obtaining the first Green Seal certification for environmental technologies in its class;
• Assisting two cities in winning designation as Brownfields Showcase Communities selected by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in cooperation with 20 other federal agencies;
• Serving as Executive Director of the National Association of Local Government Environmental Professionals (NALGEP), where he tripled the organization’s membership and built it into an effective voice for city and county environmental managers.
Prior to launching Ken Brown Strategies, Ken was a partner with The Ferguson Group, government affairs director for Spiegel & McDiarmid, executive director of the National Association of Local Government Environmental Professionals, executive director of Renew America, national program director for Clean Water Action, co-founder and director of the New Jersey Environmental Federation, and legislative assistant for Congressman Bill Gradison. Ken holds a BA and MA in Public Policy from the University of Michigan.
Ken is the co-author of Unlocking Brownfields: Keys to Community Revitalization; Smart Growth is Smart Business; Profiles of Business Leadership on Smart Growth; and Building a Brownfields Partnership from the Ground Up: Local Government Views on the Value and Promise of National Brownfields Initiatives.