Ann founded Ann Brown Communications nearly 25 years ago and has decades of experience providing marketing, media relations and strategic communications services to non-profit organizations, trade associations and businesses to support brand awareness, issue advocacy and public education campaigns.
Examples of Ann’s client work include:
- Alliance to End Slavery and Trafficking (ATEST) – launched new website and managing strategic communications for a Humanity United-supported coalition of non-profit organizations dedicated to ending human trafficking and modern day slavery;
- Environmental Defense Fund – conducted outreach to identify small business spokespeople; developed and wrote op-ed pieces promoting federal clean energy and jobs policies;
- Save Darfur Coalition / Genocide Intervention Network and United to End Genocide – managed merger and rebranding communications; coordinated earned media efforts and served as interim communications director; as subcontractor to M+R Strategic Services, managed multi-million dollar advertising campaign;
- Refugees International – directed all external communications and conducted needs assessment while serving as consultant communications director;
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure (for M+R Strategic Services) – managed media relations effort for year-long national grassroots advocacy campaign (effort earned PRSA Silver Anvil finalist award);
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition – conducted communications and campaign audit and presented recommendations to help coalition prepare for Farm Bill advocacy campaign;
- Divine Chocolate, a farmer-owned Fair Trade company (for M+R) – created and managed national media launch and year-long publicity campaign;
- Institute for Policy Studies (for M+R) – conducted communications audit and reported recommendations for strengthening the progressive think tank’s brand;
- Forest Trends – strategic communications planning to support organization’s overall communication goals and the launch of new conservation initiative;
- Climate Communities – designed and implemented national grassroots media campaign for new local government coalition on climate;
Marketing and public relations to support technology companies and trade associations, including:
- Application Developers Alliance – communications and operational consultation for start-up trade association representing application developers and stakeholders in the app ecosystem;
- Digital Media Association – ongoing media relations and marketing support for association representing industry leading digital music and video services;
- Global One – managed global customer advisory committee, organized customer seminars and created marketing collateral for joint venture of Sprint, Deutsche Telekom and France Telecom.
Before launching Ann Brown Communications, Ann managed fundraising, public education and grassroots organizing campaigns for environmental organizations Friends of the Earth and Clean Water Action. She holds a BA in biology from Carleton College.